I believe a good list is almost as good as a poem. This one is in honor of my 92nd year old grandmother.
92 Things I love about My Grandma
1. She likes to hold hands.
2. A heritage of faithfulness.
3. She asked for mexican food for her birthday dinner. I love it when my husband cooks Mexican food. This one involved grilled steak and shrimp and tomalito. (That’s Spanish for corn and sugar and butter….ahh heaven).
4. That my daughter wanted to buy Grandma a pillow pet. The five-year old said “The best thing about getting old is you can play with toys again”.
5. My grandma has Alzheimer’s but she still knows all our names.
6. She still knows we love her.
7. She calls my uncle the tall one.
8. She calls my brother-in-law the handsome one.
9. She’s ninety-two and doesn’t have any grey hair.
10. She thinks motorcycles are cool.
11. My best Christmas decorations were made by her.
12. Everyone in the family has a handmade stocking.
13. She likes to tell people that she was married to two good men. She’s right.
14. Grandma says the best decision in her life was to follow Jesus. She’s right.
15. She likes a good deal.
16. She loves free stuff. It’s left over from years of shopping in the “missionary barrel”.
17. She likes shrimp.
19. Dark chocolate.
20. Ginger snaps.
21. She remembers when chocolate chips were invented.
22. And zippers.
23. She learned how to drive as a young mom because she had to in order to drive her child to the doctor. Brave woman.
24. Grandma told me that the people at the nursing home got walkers just to show off.
25. She still walks all by herself.
26. She likes Tiaras.
27. and Disneyland
28. and babies
29. and backrubs.
30. She wears very hip black Sketchers.
31. I love her laugh
32. her smile
33. the twinkle in her eye.
34. It looks like my mother’s.
35. Grandma has a very cool knit hat
36. and a cat eye necklace
37. and every card ever mailed to her by any child.
38. When Grandma turned 80 she bought a computer and learned how to email.
39. My cousin and I went down and taught her how. Fun trip.
40. We input her address book. She has friends that span generations.
41. I love that my Grandma still gives monthly support to some Wycliffe Missionaries.
42. Grandma has handmade beaded dolls given to her by people of the Comanche tribe.
43. She doesn’t mind in my daughter plays with them.
44. Grandma likes to talk about the trips her husband took her on.
45. New York.
46. He bought her a brass clock. She calls it her brass lady.
49. Grandma knows what a blog is. My sister asked her and she said “It’s like a journal on the computer. Yup.
50. Grandma reads my blog. I like anyone who reads my blog.
51. She says she likes it.
52. Grandma smiles when we go visit.
53. She smiles when we leave and says thank you.
54. Grandma is big on manners.
55. My cousin gave Grandma a digital photo frame. She sits and watches it all the time.
56. Grandma told my dad that she prays for the people on the frame.
57. My grandma prays for me.
58. I always liked Grandma’s white cat.
59. Grandma and Grandpa used to have their clocks timed so none of them chimed on top of each other. Very musical house.
60. When Grandma turned 90 we went on a family cruise.
61. She likes to wear flowers.
62. Smell flowers.
63. I love my hand embroidered table-cloth full of flowers from Grandma.
64. She thinks all my daughter’s jokes are funny.
65. She loves to watch the five-year old sing. So do I.
66. She tells us she’s proud of us.
67. Grandma believes in marriage
68. hard work
69. good food
70. The Bible
72. Grandma used to sew all my mom’s clothes. How can you not love that?
73. Grandma tells us she’s going to heaven.
74. Grandma expects us to be there too.
75. Grandma loves handmade quilts
76. quilted vests
78. and good scissors. My pinking shears are hers.
79. Grandma loves convertible cars
80. warm sweaters
81. and new photos of family.
82. Grandma can tell a story with the best of them.
83. She’s pretty cute when she thinks you’re holding out information on her.
84. Grandma likes pink fingernails
85. sensible socks
86. and halibut dinner.
87. Grandma likes weddings
88. and hugs
89. and kisses.
90. Grandma wanted peaches for her dessert.
91. and the butter pecan ice cream.
92. Her birthday wish when she blew out her candles. “I wish we could have more family gatherings like this.”
To see the other side of 92 check out www.doncanonge.com.